Thursday, May 14, 2009

132/365 - Ok! So I really need to stop playing with my food!

Today I made cupcakes from a book given to me by my mother in the 1970s. I remember eating these cupcakes when I came home from school. My Mum is still a great cook at the age of 80...just like her Mum was before her.

Recipe from "The Margaret Fulton Cookbook" - first published 1968.

Cup Cakes

If cupcakes are to be iced/frosted and sooth tops are required, back in moderately hot oven (375 F/190C). For peaked tops (necessary for butterfly cakes) increase heat by 25 F/5 C and place the cakes in the hottest part of the oven.

4oz/125 g butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
2 cups self raising flour
pinch salt
2/3 cup milk

Place the paper cases in cupcake tins. Set oven to moderately hot: 375 F/190 C.

Cream butter. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and reamy. Add vanilla. Add eggs gradually and beat well after each addition. Sift flour and salt 3 times and fold lightly into creamed mixture alternately with milk to make a smooth dropping consistency. Spoon into cases/pans. Bake for approx. 15 minutes. Cool. Frost.

To make butterfly cakes: Cut a circle from top of each cake, fill with a spoonful of sweetened, whipped cream and place circle, cut into two, in butterfly-wing fasion on top. Dust with icing sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment